BATTLE ROYALE: TAKING THE GAMES MARKET BY STORM
Battle Royale has quickly become the talk of the games industry. With massively successful titles like PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds and Fortnite: Battle Royale, new entrants like Realm Royale, and Battle Royale integration into traditional AAAs like Battlefield V, the genre is one of the biggest trends in games.
In this new report from the industry's gold-standard in market data and insights, SuperData explores this new genre, its top games, the future for the market, and consumer insights around player sentiment, game overlap, purchasing behavior and more.
What is battle royale?
Battle Royale is a game genre where a maximum of 100 players join a match (either alone or in a group of up to four) and fight to the death until the last person or squad is left standing.
How did the battle royale genre become so popular?
While games like DayZ, H1Z1, and PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds laid the foundation, Fortnite: Battle Royale is what caused the genre to explode.
What made Fortnite catch on so quickly?
Unlike other battle royale games, Fornite is both free-to-play and initially launched on all available platforms. The game’s mainstream success started to skyrocket thanks to gaming video platforms and celebrities. Twitch exposed a huge audience to Fortnite through prominent streamers like Ninja. Ninja’s stream with Drake hit 635K viewers, breaking the concurrent viewership record at the time.
Add in the fact that the game can run smoothly on most devices, has an accessible learning curve, and kid-friendly aesthetic and the popularity begins to make sense.
Table of Contents:
- Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Note From the Analyst
- The Rise of Battle Royale
- Annual Battle Royale Revenue
- Fortnite Battle Royale & PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Monthly Revenue
- Battle Royale Audience
- Other Genres Played
- Other Games Played
- Battle Royale Play Time & Frequency
- Battle Royale Gameplay & Monetization
- Gameplay Preferences
- Items Purchased In-game
- Motivation for In-game Purchases
- Battle Royale & Gaming Video Content (GVC)
- Battle Royale Market Share
- Battle Royale Viewing Motivations
- Key GVC Titles Viewership by Month
- Adapting to Battle Royale
- Why Players Would Switch to New Battle Royale Games
- What Players Dislike About Battle Royale
- Likely Winners from the Rise of Battle Royale
- GVC Categories
- Game Platform
This is a one time e-report download with no recurring updates. This purchase is for a single purchase.