Digital Collectible Card Games
Hearthstone: Heroes of WarCraft has disrupted the digital collectible card game (CCG) space the same way World of WarCraft transformed massively-multiplayer online games (MMOs). Blizzard’s first digital card game has deep mechanics, but it is more accessible and streamlined than long-running games like Magic: The Gathering. Hearthstone now dominates the genre and earns around $20M monthly. History repeats itself here: In 2004, World of WarCraft became the MMO to beat thanks to a combination of the popular WarCraft IP and gameplay that was more accessible than existing MMOs.
Collectible card gamers designed for smartphones can be very different from those built for PCs* or tablets. The large screens of PCs and tablets easily support complex games similar to physical CCGs such as Magic: The Gathering and The Pokémon Trading Card Game. Prominent smartphone CCGs like Rage of Bahamutand Marvel: War of Heroes barely resemble physical CCGs as battles last only a minute or two, and winners are determined mainly by who has cards with higher stats.
Hearthstone proves “traditional” CCG players want to game on the go too.Hearthstone’s monthly revenue jumped 31% when the game became available on smartphones. Thanks to the rise of large-screen smartphones and “phablets,” more smartphones now have the screen space to comfortably fit the detailed user interfaces of more complex card games.
Hearthstone has heightened consumer expectations for digital card games. Publishers now need to account for the fact that Hearthstone is many players’ entry point to the genre. These players expect CCGs to let them play across devices and be easy to learn yet tactically deep. Game makers are beginning to take note: The recently- released Magic Duels: Origins is the first version of Magic: The Gathering to appear on smartphones and also emphasizes tools to ease newcomers into the game.
- Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Note from the Analyst
- Selected Top Digital CCGs ($), 2014
- Types of Digital CCGs
- Hearthstone Revenue ($), PC vs. Mobile, Aug 2013-June 2014
- Worldwide CCG Audience (MAU), Digital vs. Physical, 2015
- Worldwide CCG Revenue ($), Digital vs. Physical, 2015
- Regional Digital CCG Revenue ($), 2013-2018E
- Regional Digital CCG Audience (MAU), 2013-2018E
- Worldwide Digital CCG Revenue ($) by Platform, 2013-2018E
- Digital CCG Audience Worldwide (MAU) by Platform, 2013-2018E
- Digital CCG Playing Habits by Platform
- Average Number of CCGs Played at Once
- Average Game Session Length in Minutes
- Average Weekly CCG Play Sessions
- Average CCG Player Lifetime in Months
- Player Overlap (%)Digital CCG Platforms
- Digital and Physical CCGs
- Most-Played Video Game Genres (%) by Platform
- How Players Hear About New Digital CCGs (%)
- Favorite Aspect of Digital CCGs (%) by Platform
- Spending Habits by Platform
- Conversion (%)
- Average Revenue Per Paying User (ARPPU, $)
- Top Purchases
- Digital CCG Player Demographics (Age, Gender, Income)